Family has ‘lost everything’ after blaze began in daughter’s room and tore through house

A traumatised family of six lost everything they had after a fire broke out in a bedroom and spread all around their property.

Stacey Doocey said the fire started in her daughter Emaleah’s bedroom, but the cause of the blaze is still a mystery.

The family was downstairs when the smoke alarm began to sound at the house in Cheetham Hill, Manchester.

The 32-year-old woman said when they went upstairs, the room was “glowing orange” – and the fire soon spread to other rooms in the property.

Since then, the family have been in a hotel and they are now trying to piece their lives back together, the Manchester Evening News reports.

Ms Doocey – who lived in the property with her partner Jayce Hogan, 26, seven-year-old son Kodie, and the couple’s two young children, one-year-old Jayce and seven-month-old Alyssa – said: “We’ve lost everything. We just literally left the house with the clothes on our back.

“It just started in my daughter’s bedroom and spread everywhere. Everything is absolutely destroyed.

“We’re starting everything from scratch – we’ve got one buggy from the house and that’s it.”

Thankfully, Emaleah was out at the time the fire broke out in her room, but the fire had a huge impact on Stacey and Jayce’s children.

“They’ve lost everything, they are traumatised,” said the mum.

She added: “It was Kodie’s birthday the other week and he’s lost all his presents. They lost their school clothes, the lot. But I’m just glad everybody is safe.”

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “At 7pm on Thursday, October 6, firefighters were called out to a house fire on Corbridge Walk, Manchester.

“Three fire engines from Philips Park, Blackley and Broughton – as well as a turntable ladder from Manchester Central – attended the scene where a fire in a bedroom in an end terraced property had broken out.

“Firefighters used three hose reels, six breathing apparatus, a positive pressure ventilation fan and four gas monitors to tackle the fire and were detained for approximately three hours.

“Five people had self-rescued prior to arrival of fire crews and were assessed at the scene.”

Friends of the family have set up a GoFundMe fundraiser to help them rebuild their lives, with more than £2,180 already raised.